The New York Yankees closer, who is retiring after this season, will be the last MLB player to wear 42, which was retired in 1997 in honor of Jackie Robinson (Rivera was in his second full season at the time, and players already wearing the number were allowed to continue to do so).
More Photography from Time
- Boston Celebrates Its World Series Win
- 10 Of The Best To Ever Play In The World Series
- A Rare Glimpse at The Sporting Life
- Sports Illustrated’s 100 Funniest Photos
- Texas A&M Takes on Alabama: Scenes from College Football’s Most-Anticipated Matchup
- Elementary Ballers: 2nd Graders Compete for National Title