With pure energy his only real momentum, Pacquiao rose in the world rankings, surviving defeats, knockdowns and knockouts. But after a dramatic 2001 win in Las Vegas in which he was a late substitute, Pacquiao met legendary coach Freddie Roach, who would transform his style and provide a mostly winning formula — until Pacquiao met the formidable Mexican Erik Morales in March 2005. Pacquiao lost in a unanimous 12-round decision. The pair would meet in two ferocious, eagerly followed rematches that bookended 2006, with Pacquiao defeating Morales both times, the first by TKO, the second by knockout.
- The Kid from General Santos City
- Epic Combat: The Morales Trilogy
- The Other Epic: Drawing Marquez
- Defeating the Legend: Oscar De La Hoya
- The Champion’s Trophies
- The Victor’s Spoils
- Home of the Conquering Hero
- Can Adulation Turn into Political Power?
- Sowing the Seeds
- With Coach Freddie in the Ring
- The Best Pound-for-Pound Fighter in the World